Richard Williams's Reviews > Dancing in the Glory of Monsters: The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa

Dancing in the Glory of Monsters by Jason  Stearns

Oct 03, 2011

Easy recommendation to the govt. put this author in charge somewhere in how western govt money is spent in the area.

1st read the last chapter. then set aside an evening to read the whole thing. then give it to a friend to read.

why?
because people matter. their pain and suffering matter. killing people is wrong, killing lots of people is evil and must to fought.

it's first an examination of the history of the rwandan tutsi genocide and it's effects on the congo from 1990 to the present. it's second a journalist interviews and talks to people involved, telling their stories and putting it all together into a narrative that the rest of us can identify with. lastly it's a call to the world to engage with the issues because the world has a hand in causing and continuing the suffering there.

cons:
the first part is confusing. mostly because we need to get the names and background straight. my advice to the author is a few pictures of the major participants so we can see them as they are discussing.

how to integrate stories with historical narrative, it's generally well done, introducing the people through the interview process and then telling their stories is a good technic.

pros:
how to motivate people to care and to get involved? i don't know, but this book is potentially a good answer to the question. thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing in the Glory of Monsters.