Brian Hodges's Reviews > This Present Darkness

This Present Darkness by Frank E. Peretti

May 08, 08

bookshelves: christian-fiction, bloody-brilliant, life-changing, religious-themes
Read in January, 2001

Christian fiction at its very best.

Peretti doesn't make the mistake that a lot of other Christian authors make. He doesn't ever stop telling his story to preach some valuable theological lesson. Rather he weaves it seamlessly into the narrative. The overarching theme of this book is "the power of prayer". But the story is straight out of a Stephen King novel. A small town is under attack from dark forces, both in this world and in the spiritual realm. The story is told from the points of view of humans and their angel protectors. Truly fascinating. Even if you think Christianity is a farce, this book still stands on its own.

I will also say that the sequel "Piercing the Darkness" wasn't nearly as good.
47 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Present Darkness.

message 1: by Seth (new) - added it

Seth ditto brian

Jennifer Ortiz Your review of this book is right on the mark. Like you, what I got from the book is that overall it is about the power of prayer. Although fictional, it was very inspiring. I actually read the sequel first and loved it. I found this book later and was equally impressed.

Brenda Moser I loved Peretti's "This Present Darkness."For the first time I understanding the apostle Paul. We war not against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities. Plus, the story was great too!!

I have ordered the next two sequels.