Gregory Baird's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Apr 01, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-booklist, fiction-literature, autographed, americana, love, tournament-of-books
Read from October 05 to 23, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.

04/01 marked as: read

Roxanne I only gave it one star. What is the deal with this book?

Elizabeth Macyshyn ooh no. :(

Gregory Baird It's unfair to say that his first two books set the bar very high, but this one doesn't even come close to comparing. It's boring, cliched, and predictable. The only element that helps it stand apart from other love-triangle novels is the incessant focus on academia--yet this very plot element only serves to grind the plot's progress to a halt every time it rears its ugly head. Academic theory could work in a novel (John Green did, after all, write a young adult book centered around the quest for a mathematical proof), but clearly Eugenides is not the author to pull it off.

Roxanne I am totally in agreement with you, Gregory. Your elegant comment put it in words that I could only intuit. What can all these other readers possibly derive from the reading of this thing?

Roxanne Really - you liked it? I know a lot of people did, and maybe I just gave up too soon. I just couldn't take all the academic theory stuff - BORING. But if there are hair curling sex scenes then I definitely gave up too soon!