Julia's Reviews > Pig Island

Pig Island by Mo Hayder

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: horror
Read from October 03 to 17, 2011

This book took me a long time to finish. It had an interesting premise, but the actual story was not that compelling. The first part of the book was the most interesting. Joe investigates the secretive cult living on the island. Joe has become obsessed with the cult leader, Malachi Dove, and wants to get to the bottom of the mystery of what is living on the island.

After events on the island come to a head, the book moves into its second part. Now the book switches back and forth between Joe's point of view, and that of his wife, Lexie. Lexie is a very unsympathetic character. Very self serving. I couldn't care about the character, even when something unpleasant happened to her.

I would have liked a little more background on Malachi. An explanation of how he went from being a charismatic religious leader to a crazed loner would have improved the story. As it is, we just have to accept that he has spent many years hiding on one side of the island.

Towards the end of the book, Joe's obsession with Angeline also becomes a bit much. As Angeline grows stronger, he seems to grow crazier. Overall, this book was ok. I would give this author another chance, especially since other reviewers have noted that this is not her strongest book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pig Island.