Charlie George's Reviews > The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: horror, short-stories, classics
Read from August 24 to September 13, 2012

Four stars in terms of my personal enjoyment - neat stuff here, malign entities from other dimensions and cults of antiquity and so on. But the style was not quite up my alley. The fifth star is for innovation. Granted, Lovecraft borrows heavily from Poe and others, but the influence of these stories in the creation of numerous modern classics is plain to see. Foremost in my mind is the Hellboy series and the novels of China Mieville - some of the best stuff ever written, I now see, has deep roots in Lovecraft.

The attempts to build tension and end with shocking horror are hackish and feeble by modern standards. But I think Lovecraft may have been the first to, or at least the best at, extending and amplifying the peril for one protagonist out to you, the reader, by making the conspiracies and threats both realistic-sounding and global in scope. He does this with a rich blend of pseudo-scientific language cloaked in the deep mystery of the ancient.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories.