Myra's Reviews > My Lover's Lover

May 28, 08

bookshelves: adult-lit-2008
Recommended for: Tara
Read in May, 2008

It came today, and I had planned on waiting until I was through the other four books in my "currently-reading" list. However, I am finding that I just can't wait. I hope it's good! :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My Lover's Lover...where to begin? This book is magnificent and brilliant. The story that O'Farrell creates is not only dark and brooding, but it is gripping and captivating as well. The level of character development is quite remarkable - I'm finding this to be a common practice of O'Farrell's - and the story delves deeply into the murky side of a little thing called human nature. There is quite a web of mystery, seduction, half-truths, and love that seems to have ensnared Lily, Marcus, Aiden, and Sinead. And it was precisely this web that kept me turning page after page.

Some might call this novel "hard to follow," however, I didn't find it to be that way. Granted, O'Farrell does move backwards and forwards through time on a frequent basis, but not to the extent where she risks losing her readers - this style of writing is one that O'Farrell seems highly skilled in, and it seems to be a trademark of hers.

O'Farrell offers quite an in-depth look into the main characters of the story. In fact, the characterization is taken to such depths that a reader can almost feel the raw, gut-wrenching pain that some of the characters experience. The most intriguing part of this cast of characters is their dependence upon one another - not only emotionally, but also on a literary level in order to keep the story flowing along its gothic path.

There is so much to say about this novel, but for the sake of not giving away too much, I'll stop here. Let's just say that this is one heck of a dark love story.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lover's Lover.