Gaby's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

Oct 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: sci-fi

I had wanted to like Glow but it didn't speak to me. The book is science fiction, set in the far future with humans bound for New Earth. The original ship has people of all ages living in reasonable harmony. There are hints of small abuses of power, but considering that hundreds of people live in a spacecraft, contained and isolated, the ship is run well and fairly. A surprise attack by another ship results in all the young girls of childbearing age being taken away.

As the young girls adjust to their new lives in this "raiding ship" the remaining occupants of the old ship must recover from the attack and establish order. With most of the adults isolated and injured, the boys are left to their own devices. The old skills and alliances break down and there's something similar to Lord of the Flies occurs. Society doesn't break down completely, but it's basic fabric is frayed.

Meanwhile, the girls in the second ship try to sift through the deception and lies in their new home. As they learn to assert themselves, new leaders and alliances develop.

The ideas behind the story are intriguing but I found that I didn't care about the actual characters, I wasn't invested in their success.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.