Shazzer's Reviews > Bad Island

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: 2011-middle-grade, graphic-novels, middle-grade
Read in October, 2011

As posted on Outside of a Dog:

Doug TenNapel’s follow up to the wonderful Ghostopolis, Bad Island, lives up to its name. That is one bad island. Think the “Lost” island mixed with The Island of Dr. Moreau. The island has an ancient mythology and a family cast away on its dangerous shores. Teenage Reece can’t get out of a family trip on the boat, but when a storm shipwrecked the family on strange shores, he’s glad to be with family, even his annoying little sister Janie and her dead snake Pickles (Pickles didn’t survive the crash). Things seem normal at first, but soon the island starts showing its ugly side with strange monsters and carnivorous trees. Reece and his family must solve an ancient mystery to unlock the island’s secrets and get safely home. Like with Ghostopolis, TenNapel’s art is key. From action packed battle scenes to intimate talks around a fire, every panel is imbued with life and color. Some markings seem to glow right off the page. I didn’t like the story as much as Ghostopolis (but then again, I’m a sucker for a good ghost story), and things do get a little muddled when moving back and forth between times, but for the most part, it moves smoothly and at a great pace. As with Ghostopolis, I’m sure Bad Island will simply fly off my shelves, and I’ll rarely see it checked in for too long a stretch, which is a great thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Island.