Laura's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Nov 09, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from October 05 to 09, 2011

I pretty much knew I was going to love this book before i even got it because the summary was making me drool. So I begged my mum to buy me a shiny pretty hardback copy on her recent holiday to Canada because I adored the international cover. It's a glorious shade of blue and just draws you in straight away. Since seeing the UK edition in the flesh I see that our edition does the same thing (i'm kinda thing of buying a UK copy as well because it's so shiny; seriously, i'm like a Magpie with things shimmer and sparkle).

This book was like a divine chocolate box were everything shimmer and sparkled at you and you know that inside the shiny wrapper is a source of pleasure and a never ending craving for more. I loved how Laini Taylor made even the human world seem like a fountain of wonder because you'd think that up against the magic of ''Elsewhere' that things would have a duller shade in comparison but through Karou's artistic eye everything is full of colour. I can't quite convey the magic the way Karou does but you really get a sense of how Karou see's things too. She looks at the world with a colour and energy that most don't and you fall in love with the cities and worlds like she does. I'm now having to add a whole bunch of places onto my Where i want to visit list. That's the trouble with books because it makes me want to visit a load of places and the list is getting as long as my To Be Read pile! Holidays are NOT as cheap as books, that's for sure!

The creatures of Elsewhere like her father figure Brimstone and Issa even with their strange appearance they still have a personality and heart that you can relate to and appearances don't seem to matter to Karou and that says something about her as a person really and how she takes things as they come. Now getting onto Akiva (whose's name i'm still not 100% sure how you pronounce but never mind) is just…GAH! GOREGEOUS! Loved him. He was like a strong male figure without being overly rough and tough type that came be unapproachable. Aside from the physically hotness; which should NOT be ignored, he has a brokeness that I find so appealing. He is a shell like Karou with a piece missing and it's that kinetic energy and draw between the two that really heats up the pressure and pace in the book. They both have questions but will they all be answered and will the answers be something the other wishes to hear.

This book was utterly wonderful and Book 2 should be MADE to come out faster because the wait just isn't fair at all. For fans of Pan's Labyrinth, Labyrinth, Hush, Hush and just plain good writing. The characters were as beautifully crafted as the story and the parallel story lines, history and mythology made this book the stunner that it is.

10/06/2011 page 102
24.0% 1 comment
10/07/2011 page 223
53.0% "So good I'm regretting having to go to sleep so I can be awake at work in the morning"
show 3 hidden updates…