Donna's Reviews > Shock Wave

Shock Wave by John Sandford

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: criminal-mystery
Read from October 03 to 06, 2011

I am a big fan of the Prey series and I have always enjoyed it more than the Virgil Flowers series. But this latest entry--Shock Wave--was a good book. I thought it was better than average--three and a half stars. My biggest complaint is that the investigation at the beginning starts out slow and crawls along for half the book. The story does not really take off until the two thirds mark. But from there, it grew very exciting and kept me guessing. I like Virgil. He is not desensitized to violence and would only use his gun as a last resort--if he could find it. He is a man who thinks things through and goes on instinct when chasing down a lead. He is good with people, gaining cooperation from others through a no pressure attitude. Though sometimes I wonder how he ever solves his cases this way. He is so laid back, he should be interviewing people from a stretcher. I particularly like the exchanges between him and Lucas. Their personalities are so different. They play off each other well. I hope to see more growth in Virgil's character as we did with Lucas. I am ready to read the next book in either series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shock Wave.