Sarah Landwehr's Reviews > Kitten's First Full Moon

Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes

Oct 03, 11

Read in October, 2011

"Kitten's First Full Moon" by Kevin Henkes tells the sweet story of Kitten, who believes that the full moon is a bowl of warm milk. After a long quest to reach the bowl of milk, Kitten climbs a tree and sees that the pond below is also a large bowl of milk. She becomes very discouraged when she falls in the pond and becomes cold and wet. However, predictably, when Kitten arrives home there is a bowl of milk waiting for her on the porch. Henkes story can be best described as cute and sweet, and I think that young children would find Kitten's innocence funny. Although I don't see this book being used to teach any particular subject in the classroom, I think that it would make a good read aloud in a kindergarten classroom and wouldn't lose the students' attention. Additionally, "Kitten's First Full Moon" won the Caldecott Medal for its colored pencil decorated pages. While I agree that the illustrations accurately portray Kitten's every action in the story, I am not sure that the illustrations are anything extra special that deserves the Caldecott medal.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitten's First Full Moon.