Maggie Bryan's Reviews > Signing Their Rights Away

Signing Their Rights Away by Denise Kiernan

F 50x66
Oct 07, 11

Read from October 03 to 07, 2011

As a retired American history/civics teacher, I want to thank Goodreads for the opportunity to review this book which I received in the giveaway program. I still find myself on the lookout for books that I can recommend to people who ask me what they should read to help them understand history more. This book is perfect for those who need a starting place for understanding the dynamics of the Constitutional convention. Each of the biographical sketches are the length of a newspaper article and are therefore a welcoming invitation to learn about a specific signer. The Constitution has gained almost mythical status and we can easily transfer that status to the signers. However, the signers were just mortal men--some great role models and some just plain stinkers. This is not a book for scholarly study but it fills the need to remind today's citizen that divergent and multiple viewpoints (and the people who hold them) can be brought together to create something lasting. This would be a good gift for the history buff in your family and would probably be a book that you would want to borrow.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Signing Their Rights Away.