Shelley's Reviews > Book Of The Dead

Book Of The Dead by Patricia Cornwell

F_50x66
Oct 03, 11

Read in October, 2011

oh dear. I gave up on Ms Scarpetta's adventures a while ago because I found Kathy Reichs to be more readable, the female character flawed but gutsy. Then I came across this one in a charity shop. Thought it wouldn't hurt to give her another go. Unfortunately, I should have stayed with my original decision that Ms Scarpetta is one of the most miserable, wretched and passionless women I have ever read about.
Considering she is described as an intelligent, beautiful, highly respected woman working in a tough profession, she lacks any personality apart from the practice of emotional denial and avoidance. Everyone is always miserable; the long, soooo long conversations where the characters are talking about entirely different topics; the stereo typing of Ms Rose, the secretary, and Bull, the handyman; after the first chapter, I felt Ms Scarpetta and her team didnt really care, so why should I? The focus was on science, one upmanship and computer toys, not the victims.
It may be that Ms Cornwall also came to the same conclusion; one moment I thought I was reading the climax of the whole story, when no! the climax appears to be abandoned and the final chapter crawls on describing the dire, miserable relationship between Benton and Scarpetta.
Personally, I think Ms Scarpetta (or perhaps Ms Cornwall?) should read some good ol' bodice rippers and get some life in the woman!
Not sure I will be trying another Scarpetta book any time soon...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book Of The Dead.