Nicholas Mariner's Reviews > The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick

Oct 12, 11

Philip K Dick is a singular voice of the 50s and 60s, critiquing consumer culture, drug culture and religion 50 with a sharp wit that still rings true fifty years later. Each of his books deals with the ontological, trying to grasp what makes humanity human, and what makes divinity divine. The two some together in this book, man and the divine, to be played out over a drug-induced fantasy in which people transport themselves and develop personal connections through what the reader easily identifies as a version of Ken and Barbie. Oh, and then a long-lost space pilgrim shows up to give a closer connection through a new drug, and it all pretty much spirals out of control from there. This is the third or fourth book of PKD I've read so far, and I can't say I've come away from a single piece of his fiction without some new insight into the possibilities of people to come up with who-know-what do figure out how to slog through the facade that is life on Earth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.