Kim's Reviews > Macbeth

Macbeth by William Shakespeare

Jun 20, 07

bookshelves: teach
Read in January, 2001

yeah. i'm an english teacher and a theatre major and i? don't really love macbeth. it bores me on many levels and i'm seriously considering NOT teaching it in brit lit this year. yes, it has interesting motifs with blood and water, power and revenge, and the whole tragic hero thing, but eh. i just. can't. connect. with. macbeth. and that? makes me not really 'love' a play. even if i hate the main character, i need to feel some sort of connection and i just don't here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Macbeth.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Teresa Your review is astonishing to me.....what ARE you teaching from this period in British literature? I was fortunate to have fantastic profs in college who really made Shakespeare come alive. Even if you don't "love" Macbeth or "connect" with the character/play and the play "bores" you -- reconsider. It may speak to a child in your class and spark a love of theater and literature and the world may have another Lawrence Olivier; Kenneth Brannagh or Trevor Nunn. I remember loving Shelley as a teen and the prof saying that he thought it was rubbish and I would understand when I became older -- but he still taught it and gave Shelley his props where due.

Elanor Lawrence I agree with Teresa; what are you teaching? Paradise Lost? The Faerie Queene? Shakespeare may be difficult, but many other Renaissance works are a little too difficult for highschoolers.

And it just needs saying... if you're an English teacher, then shouldn't you have the ability to write a review that isn't filled with punctuation/capitalization errors?

message 5: by Cullan (new)

Cullan hmm, if I was a parent of one of your pupils I would be. concerned. that. one teacher`s eccentric opinion? could shape their education and appreciation.

message 4: by Teresa (last edited Feb 23, 2013 09:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teresa Kim -- you don't mention in your review if you are teaching at the high school or college level but I recommend sitting in on a college level course taught by a prof. that "gets" Shakespeare's Macbeth. Any course or book by James C. Bulman; the screen adaptation by Trevor Nunn and consider Roman Polanski's interpretation. The motifs that you mention above are typical "cliff notes" motifs pointed out at the high school level. The play itself is much deeper. Compare it to the themes in Niebuhr's "Children of Light and Darkness". PS. I don't think one is *supposed to* "connect" with Macbeth -- he is a man who gradually *disconnects* from society and the audience should feel that disconnection. Best to you!

message 3: by Corbin (new)

Corbin Can you please tell me which school you teach at so I can make sure my children never go there?

message 2: by Somerandom (new)

Somerandom I don't mean to be rude or anything and it's not that I doubt you. But I've grown up around English Teachers. They would have died rather than misspell words and ignore punctuation and grammar (unless they were writing a minimalist piece, of course.)

Kacie Stetson Oh dear. You seem like a frustrated poet to me. ee cummings anyone?

Girl, PLEASE!