Troy's Reviews > The Final Storm

The Final Storm by Jeff Shaara

M 50x66
Oct 03, 11

Read in October, 2011

Good, but not as engaging as most of Shaara's stuff. Could be that I've recently read enough about the Pacific War that it just seemed (to me) to be a repeat of recent reads. But really, I think it's because of the focus on JUST Okinawa and the atomic bomb - in what actually was a very disjointed way (somewhat justified by the newness of Truman's involvement). It read as an attempt to quickly summarize the final events of the war, lacked some of the character development and insight into players' psyche that is so prominent in his other novels. This would have actually been better told in parallel with the Europe series - maybe as a separate trilogy that started with Pearl Harbor, the discussion of the BEGINNING of the Manhattan Project, etc.

Hard to do that without it being inexorably entwined with the politics of the European theater, but then, maybe that would have done this justice.

It was a good read, but a little disappointing in that it appears to have been written to fill in a gap, not to tell the story as we're used to seeing Shaara tell it.

Moving straight to Korea would have been justified.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Storm.