Leslie's Reviews > A Place Called Home

2035987
Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: contemporary, reviewed, romance

Grade: B

I've been reading Ms. Goodman for many years but this is her first venture into contemporary romance, having stuck to historical and western romances. I must say I was cautious, knowing how much I enjoy her writing but unsure as to how that would translate into a contemporary setting. My concerns were needless, Ms. Goodman easily brings her wonderful, emotional story-telling to a modern day setting.

Thea Wyndham has suffered a tremendous shock. After learning her childhood friend and his wife were killed by a drunk driver, Thea then finds out she, along with Mitch Baker, has been named guardian of their three children. Thea is unprepared to become a parent to the children and makes this clear to Mitch. At first she comes off as cold and distant, showing only glimpses of her concern for the children. Thea's mothering instincts had been buried deep which made me want to know why. She's not cruel but has her shields up and defenses at full strength.

If you must appoint a guardian for your children, Mitch Baker is a great choice. He doesn't have kids of his own, in fact his experience with kids is with his friends children. But he embraces his guardianship even though inside he is terrified of making a mistake. Mitch is nearly perfect in his parenting, with only one real mistake. I kept wondering when his mask would slip and we would see the real person behind the perfection but it never really did. I would have liked to see him less than perfect since his perfection only served to spotlighted Thea's flaws.

The romance is balanced with the growing relationship between Mitch, Thea and the children. You really couldn't have the romance without including the children since they are the reason for Mitch and Thea to be together. I do think it's fair to say the romance wasn't always front and but character development apart from each other also occurred. There are other people in their lives that impact not only the relationships with the children but also how Thea and Mitch proceed with their growing feelings. Goodman handles it well, showing how each of the characters perspectives change and grow.

The ending didn't come as a surprise but getting there was filled with a complex romance that showed not only how two people can come together but can create a new family out of a tragedy. The main problem I had was Mitch's perfection, since flawed characters are so much more interesting. There was also the odd romance from two secondary characters. What made it odd is that it didn't add much to the overall story. I felt it was unnecessary to the main plot and found I cared little for either character. Otherwise, I enjoyed this contemporary romance from Ms. Goodman and will read any more contemporaries she writes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Place Called Home.