Antof9's Reviews > True Colors

True Colors by Kristin Hannah

Oct 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011-read, americana, animals, depressing, fathers, liberry, weight, women
Read from October 03 to 12, 2011

It's interesting, this book. I thought Firefly Lane was so well done ... So when someone mentioned they thought this one was actually her best book, I requested it from the library.

Sure, it was interesting. And sure, I read it in only a couple of sittings. But it really just felt like a romance novel to me. And there were far more characters to dislike than like, so ... it was just "meh" for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Colors.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Virginia Hill Whoops!

Antof9 LOL! Was it you who liked it so much? I'm totally ok with that :) I just liked "Firefly" SOOOOO much better. Not that I didn't like this one, mind you ... I just felt sad through so much more of this one than I preferred, you know?

Virginia Hill I really liked it at the time, but can't recall the specific reasons why. So, you felt more sad while reading True Colors than Firefly Lane? Wow! I DO remember crying my eyes out toward the end of Firefly, but don't recall feeling too sad while reading True Colors. It's been awhile though. I tend to read Kristin Hannah's books months or years after they've been published. I think it's because I know they will be a strain on my emotions. Well, as long as you didn't dislike it...I guess I won't regret suggesting it too much.

Antof9 Oh, please don't! I didn't dislike it -- really. And you're right; I was sobbing through parts of Firefly Lane! But I felt *more* in Firefly Lane, I think (or I remember) -- I felt less of everything in True Colors and my overall feeling was rather sad, if that makes any sense. But don't regret suggesting it! One of the things I like so much about books is even if we read the same book, we don't read the same book, you know? I'm ok with that :)

Virginia Hill Antof9 wrote: "One of the things I like so much about books is even if we read the same book, we don't read the same book, you know?..."

And, that's why ratings vary SO much, yes? I need to pay attention to my mood when choosing a book. If I don't I end up making the wrong decision and the book ends up not being finished or rated rather poorly. I wonder, do you consider your mood when choosing your next read?

Antof9 Absolutely! And I'm not always right even when I factor that in! But it definitely helps. I've ordered books from the library and then not read them for quite a while when I actually got them because I was in a different mood. It's fascinating to me how subjective books are...