Princess Kayla's Reviews > Delirium

Nov 20, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: oh-the-angst, annoying-protagonist, reviewed
Read from October 03 to November 08, 2011

I really don’t understand the hype.

This was just your typical YA dystopian novel: girl likes boy at first glance and of course the guy likes the girl too, and they fall in love despite the world around them being against it. Ick. This was just too slow and boring for me. The idea behind love being a disease that the government needs to “cure” you for is just so bizarre. I read this thinking it could be either awesome and unique or just a big boring mess. About 100 pages in I realized it was the latter. It was just extremely slow and dragged on forever; it was like trudging through a big muddy hole. You would think that with how slow it was there would be some kind of slow but sweet development in their romance, but of course there wasn’t. I just couldn’t understand the attraction.

I had a hard time reading this one, I found myself taking frequent breaks and getting frustrated at the pace and lack of character development. It was predictable and did I mention boring? The first half of the book built you up on understanding Lena. I get that she’s afraid to fall in love because of what happened to her mom, but the whole idea of having an operation to remove love is just a bit too farfetched for me. Lena was boring and I had a hard time connecting to her. I felt like most of the characters in this book were never really developed and were mostly just flat. I really like Oliver’s writing style but the pacing was awful, and I never really understood the love interest. I got tired of the constant make-out and exploration scenes with them and just wanted some action. Lena and Alex spend most of the book making out, and lying to their families. I just couldn’t really see the interest in Alex. The characters were just a bit to angsty and flat for me.

Photobucket

Despite all of the negative, there were a few good aspects to the book as well. Lauren Oliver is a master of description. I really loved the openers at the beginning of each chapter. Oliver quotes books, songs, and essays that she made up to give you an understanding of the way the people in her world thought. I felt like that really added to the story and loved that she did that.

Overall I didn’t hate this book but I didn’t like it either. It just didn’t hit it for me. If you like your dystopia with a whole lot of romance and only a teeny bit of action then this is the book for you. It just wasn’t really my cup of tea.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

10/05/2011 page 200
45.0% "I found this online and began reading. Now I can't stop. It's just so strange that anyone would ever consider love a disease. It's kind of funny but in that "wow this is beyond ridiculous" kind of way."
10/06/2011 page 300
68.0% "So much I haven’t asked him, and so much we never talk about. Yet in other ways I feel like I do know him, and have always known him, without having to be told anything at all" Photobucket" 1 comment
10/09/2011 page 353
80.0% "I'm sick of this. If I weren't so close to the end I would probably give up. Everytime Lena start to question herself and her actions Alex shows up and gives her an oh so dreamy smile that changes her mind. "Nothing bad will happen when I’m with Alex." That's an actual quote!"
10/09/2011 page 353
80.0% "a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b29..." target="_blank">Photobucket" 7 comments
11/07/2011 page 353
80.0% "I'm taking a bit of a break from this blackhole of suck I'll try and finish it soon, but I won't be happy at the end! Starbucks here I come!"
11/08/2011 page 441
100.0% "Finally i'm finished. Ick, my brain hurts from being tortured. Photobucket Review coming soon."

Princess Kayla Paige wrote: "I am not looking forward to this one. Ack. Lovely review, dear.

And you're alive?! Call me! Email me! Something! Then you can tell me your hours and I can plan the time I spend annoying you acco..."

WHAT on the radio?? Singing, talking??? I'll call you tommorow I promise! And thanks I'm glad you like my review, it's kind of short though but I really didn't like it.

Princess Kayla Oh you big meanie, how dare you hold him against me! Hmph. I made it to about the same I think in Princess tutu. "She's so cuuute! <3
Photobucket

That's great he's changing his plea, the sooner this mess is over the better.

Call me when you wake up in case I forget. ILY!

Princess Kayla In that case heck to the no. I have no work tomorrow Hooray! and want to sleep in so I'll call you (you know how I like my sleep.) And now that I think about it, I have class tomorrow so I’ll call you at 11 when I get out. That sucks about him breaking up with the mother of his child, although it may be better for the baby to not have to deal with a father in jail. I hope she can get someone to take care of the baby and her who won’t land in jail.
Did I tell you I had to see breaking Dawn? Oh the shame! Oh yeah, don’t forget to make me tell you all the stories from my 3 days so far at work (it’s been interesting).
Photobucket

I’m going to bed now. I’ll call ya I promise (hopefully!) :)

message 4: by Lyla (new) - rated it 1 star

Lyla Yay. Sometimes when I don't enjoy certain books when the majority do, it makes me wonder if I missed something. But you articulated what I was feeling very very well. I didn't even read most of the book. I skimmed a lot. I couldn't really like Lena or Alex. I thought she did a poor job of characterising them. I guess ratings and all those 5-star reviews really can't be a good basis for picking new books to read... Even skimming Delirium felt like a waste of time for me =/

Princess Kayla Lyla wrote: "Yay. Sometimes when I don't enjoy certain books when the majority do, it makes me wonder if I missed something. But you articulated what I was feeling very very well. I didn't even read most of the..."

I agree, at first I thought I would like it but I never really got into it. I just never connected. Also, I feel like the ratings for it are way to high. I just didn't like it.