Shannon's Reviews > SCUM Manifesto

SCUM Manifesto by Valerie Solanas

May 08, 2008

bookshelves: to-read, queer, non-fiction

Edit: I found out about this book on the website for "Hothead Paisan, Homicidal Lesbian Terrorist", a graphic novel that I'm currently reading (so far, so excellent). It should be noted that, apparently, SCUM stands for "Society for Cutting Up Men".

Nice! I find all this hilarious- which may not be an appropriate reaction, since Valerie Solanas was clearly very serious (anyone who sincerely writes a manifesto, and you know, shoots Andy Warhol, probably isn't fucking around). I just think the mere act of writing such a manifesto (or any manifesto.. come on, even the word "manifesto" takes itself seriously) is gloriously dramatic. And, while I consider myself a feminist, I'm not an extremest, or a fan of any form of radicalism, so it's not like I'm going to actually agree with this woman's (I think it's fair to assume) batshit insane man-killing ideals. But.. I will for sure be reading this if I can find it.

"Valerie Jean Solanas was an American radical feminist writer best known for shooting the artist Andy Warhol in 1968. She wrote the SCUM Manifesto, an essay on patriarchal culture advocating the creation of an all-female society".
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read SCUM Manifesto.

message 1: by Tortla (new)

Tortla I think being best-known for shooting Andy Warhol is kind of a wonderful/horrible thing.

message 2: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon I know, right? And for some reason in my sleep-deprived state it seems hilarious.

message 3: by Tortla (new)

Tortla I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of manifestos. Also, I quite enjoyed this:
"...while I consider myself a feminist, I'm not an extremest, or a fan of any form of radicalism, so it's not like I'm going to actually agree with this woman's (I think it's fair to assume) batshit insane man-killing ideals."
...mostly just because you integrated the word "batshit" so splendidly into your assessment of Valerie shooter-of-andy-warhol Solanas. Well done.

message 4: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon why thank you lilbro.

6 days til brotimesies. the shark pit awaits.