Laura's Reviews > From Hell

From Hell by Alan Moore

May 07, 08

bookshelves: fiction, history, comic
Read in May, 2008

I contemplated giving this one a five, but declined. It's deeper than Watchmen, in a way, but I didn't enjoy it in the same way. Who knows. Perhaps I'll come back and change it in a few days.
The art is fantastic. Moore has probably never written better. The only problem I had was with telling some of the characters apart; however, I got used to it in the end.
The chapter where Gull drags Netley around town, lecturing him about the ancient magic of symbolic architecture, was seriously creepy; the final chapter, where Gull floats bodiless through time, was also a bit of a masterpiece, though I had to look up everyone in it because I'm not familiar with British serial killers. Though it was so horrific it made me a bit queasy, the chapter of the final murder was also spectacularly done. The pacing-- the way Gull staggers about, falling back and forth between a state of dream and a mindless orgy of dismemberment-- was perfect.
The depth and interwovenness of his story is fantastic, also. Just thought I'd mention.

It was, however, due to the inescapable nature of the subject-matter, a bit too horrifically dark to dwell on at the moment. So I'm off to read something light and happy, now, if you please.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Hell.