Niklas Pivic's Reviews > The Marriage Plot

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

Feb 15, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read from January 14 to February 15, 2012 — I own a copy

During the first half, this book felt as though Eugenides had left his oodles of research done for "Middlesex", read some of Donna Tartt's "The Secret History", some Bret Easton Ellis and really dissected and mulled over Jonathan Franzen's "Freedom".

The second half had more flesh, yet also more pulp.

At the same time, this book is very well-written, and by that I mean the author has a firm grip on rhythm, colouring his language and keeping parts suspenseful. Friendships and some love feels real.

On the other hand, I'll say it's a lot of research into biology - cells - which feels a bit asperger-ish. We get the metaphors; I think. It could have used a firmer grip and more editing.

Kudos to Eugenides for name-dropping "The Paris Review".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Marriage Plot.

01/14/2012 page 10
2.0% 2 comments
01/16/2012 page 31
8.0% "So far, it's: parents = Desperate Housewives, kids = Bret Easton Ellis, school environment = Donna Tartt's "The Secret History". A bit, anyway. And he manages to mention The Paris Review, too. Ha!"
01/16/2012 page 48
12.0% "It's becoming more Bret Easton Ellis while keeping its own stride: http://niklasblog.com/?p=9730"
01/25/2012 page 110
27.0% "As one story acs is finished and ends a loop, I wonder how the tale will progress. Well-written, so far reminiscent of Franzen's "Freedom", but still reminds me of Bret Easton Ellis/Donna Tartt."
02/02/2012 page 160
39.0% "Still good, now hell-bent on travels of a young man."
02/13/2012 page 325