The Flooze's Reviews > The Potted Gardener

The Potted Gardener by M.C. Beaton

Oct 02, 2011

bookshelves: owned, mystery, vanquished_2011
Read from October 02 to 11, 2011

I have one major issue when it comes to the cozy mystery: just a blink of the eye and I suddenly realise I've spent the better part of an evening completely engrossed in mischief and murder.

It's been awhile since I last visited Agatha, yet I found it easy to get sucked back into her not-so-quiet world. She's a strange little woman, one I'd dearly like to shake into feeling more self-assured. If only she could picture herself as others do...but I suppose that's true of all of us and it probably makes the abrasive Agatha more relatable a character.

As is common with a cozy mystery (the good ones, at least), The Potted Gardner brings back a cast of familiar characters and makes me feel right at home amidst the village intrigue. The usual question also occurs to me: with so many people getting murdered in this "idyllic" locale, why on earth do people stick around?!

Agatha is endearing in her ridiculous way, her neighbours delightfully peculiar, and the murder so oddly executed that I was comfortably entrenched from start to finish. I do wish the resolution of the mystery had a bit more wow factor, but again this is often the way of the genre - lots of clues, liberal splashes of local color, and then the answer suddenly arrives wrapped up in a tidy little package.

But we read cozies specifically for their comfort value and Agatha Raisin delivers that in spades, along with a welcome dash of humor. The Potted Gardner is an amusing addition to the series, making me anxious to discover Agatha's next embarrassing manoeuvre. And the next murder victim, of course.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Potted Gardener.

10/02/2011 page 1
10/10/2011 page 186
73.0% "Damn Agatha Raisin and her addictive qualities. I should be in bed!"
06/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Agatha Raisin! I love that old battleaxe.

The Flooze The first few were very good, but I can only read so many cozies in a row!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

She also gets more and more bolshie as the series goes on, do you think? Which becomes a bit annoying.

The Flooze Oh, yes. I'm seeing bits of it.

Or maybe she's just getting dippy as she gets older!

message 5: by An Odd1 (last edited Oct 11, 2011 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

An Odd1 Usually the title brings back the specifics. Who's the GARDeNER and what's the pot (weapon, booze, drugs)? She's most weak with men - any here? I agree I got itchy too, could you narrow in on where & why? I liked the general series review, and also wonder why murderers gather in idyllic locales. Bored?

message 6: by The Flooze (last edited Oct 11, 2011 08:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Flooze Lol, the gardener was literally potted...like stuck in soil and left to take root. No sprouting occurred to my knowledge though!

You're right: Agatha and men is where it all goes pear-shaped. But it is stated here and there that the hubby she abandoned was abusive? So she must have a number of lingering issues, or so I imagine. I don't always remember that though while reading and I get overly frustrated as a result.

It was one of those mysteries where the key bit of evidence isn't delivered until the very end. That always irks me because I like to try to figure things out along with the amateur sleuth. It's not so much that they solved the case as it is they fell upon the answer by chance.

An Odd1 teehee