Emily's Reviews > Mercy Come Morning

Mercy Come Morning by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Oct 04, 11

bookshelves: adult-lit, contemporary, religious, romance
Read on October 02, 2011

Overall Review: There are times when we are hard on ourselves and don’t allow ourselves to have happiness because we don’t feel that we deserve it. This is Krista Mueller’s life motto—she’s successful in her job, but not in her personal life. She pushes everyone away constantly. Once she hears that her mother is dying, she finally faces all of her old ‘skeletons’.

As horrible as Alzheimer’s is, this book is very hopeful, positive and optimistic about it without making it feel trite. I felt so much empathy for Krista as she discovered more about her mother (and, in this process, herself) and all that happened in the past. There is a lot of back and forth between Krista’s past and present, but it flowed very well and I never felt confused. I enjoyed all the history both about New Mexico and the world at large. The culture of New Mexico presented here was very beautiful! It made me want to go there and see for myself!

Mercy Come Morning is all about relationships—between parent/child, between boyfriend/girlfriend, between husband/wife, between friends. It’s all about stepping into someone else’s shoes—about stepping out of yourself and taking a good look at what has gone on, or is going on around you! It is a journey of coming together and gaining understanding; a sweet reminder that while life is tough and can be harsh and full of pain and misunderstandings and tears, we can find joy and peace all around us if we just open our eyes and look. A lovely and uplifting Sunday afternoon read! Overall rating is 4 out of 5 stars!

Content Review:

PROFANITY: None

VIOLENCE: A few mild instances

SEXUAL CONTENT: A few mild to moderate instances

MATURE THEMES: Moderate

RECOMMENDED AGE GROUP: 18+

There is no profanity, however this is a very Christian book so be prepared for many prayers and petitions to heaven.

As far as violence, it is all very mild. A character slaps another. The death tolls of some wars are mentioned. There are some characters who die due to various causes: war, old age, sickness.

There is some sexual content. There are allusions to a character having various men overnight (this happens fairly often). A character is sexually assaulted. Both of these instances are necessary to the plot and are handled very well without description. Two characters kiss.

There are many moderate mature themes: Death of loved ones, Alzheimer’s, dealing with abuse (both physical and mental), taking care of a mentally sick parent. Some other mild themes are forgiveness, self-discovery and discovery of one’s past.

Mercy Come Morning is recommended as a Clean Read for ages 18+!

This review was written by Emily
A Squeaky Clean Reads Book Reviewer
This book was sent to Squeaky Clean Reads by Waterbrook Multnomah for a review

To see more fantastic books reviewed with content in mind, visit us at Squeaky Clean Reads!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Come Morning.