Peter's Reviews > Far from the Madding Crowd

Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy

Oct 02, 11

Read in January, 2009

"Fantastic! I read Hardy's ""Tess"" earlier, and this was even better. It starts rather light-hearted, but takes many deeply felt twists and turns to one of the most satisfying conclusions I have encountered-a win for the romantics.

And such characters! Proud ice princess Bathsheba Everdene-a woman of power. Gabriel Oak, her loyal, long suffering farm foreman, Reserved yet passionate farmer Boldwood. Even the dashing but shallow Sgt. Troy who catches Bathsheba's eye has hidden depths. As each man tries his hand for the beautiful and self-held businesswoman, her path is especially interesting.

This is a tale that truly relates all the highs and lows of love. Set against the interesting background of a sheep farm in 1870s bucolic England without ever being about that adds lots of color.

Mostly, I was reminded of a more serious ""Cold Comfort Farm"" but with extreme depth and as I said, ""Tess of the d'Urbervilles"" but without the deep sadness that pervades that novel. Honestly, the ending is so great, it will have you cheering. Highly recommended!!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Far from the Madding Crowd.