The Library Lady's Reviews > Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West

Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden

Oct 03, 11

bookshelves: adult-biography

Looking at the author blurb I was appalled to find that she teaches a course in "narrative non-fiction" to college students. Has she taken such a course herself?

She apparently has a wondrous cache of letter and other materials from her grandmother (Dorothy) and from Ros, but instead of letting them tell the story, she tells it herself and her style is flat and uninspired. The first part of the book is particularly bad--I assume she wants to fill in lots of background before getting to the meat of her story. But by switching back and forth from little bits of the narrative to the background, she makes things disjointed.

There is far too much detail about background issues not really related to the story. Yes, the Mott road was marvelous, but we need a quick explanation, not 3 pages of its history. We really don't need to hear about "Queen Ann", Butch Cassidy's girlfriend, the full history of the coal mines, or a myriad of other subjects. What we need more of is Dorothy and Ros's story. More of Dorothy and Ros's voices.

They would have been better served by Wickenden's editing their letters and making a book from that, with short sections of her narrative to explain references and fill in gaps. I wish she'd written that book instead of this one.

And perhaps she can use this book as an example to her students of what NOT to do in constructing "narrative non-fiction". Sigh....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nothing Daunted.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer It looked promising, but now I think I'll pass. What will you bet she has her students read this book?

The Library Lady I'd read it--it is interesting, it's just not as good as it can be.

Poor students if she does--doubt if she'll allow constructive critcism.

message 3: by Lynn (last edited Aug 18, 2012 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn Pribus I'm still wading through and definitely agree with you. Suffers by comparison with, say, LETTERS FROM YELLOWSTONE -- a slender fictional account of the early days in the world's first national park.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Library Lady, I couldn't agree with you more. Nicely said.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Maybe I'll read it anyway, as the ladies were from Auburn, New York, not far from where I live.