Joseph Mckenna's Reviews > The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature, Updated and Expanded

The Sacred Balance by David Suzuki

M_50x66
Nov 30, 11

Read from October 02 to November 30, 2011

I will preface this statement by stating that I would want David Suzuki as a neighbor, and that his hopes and dreams are very similar to my own in many respects. However, I am left with an overall feeling of disappointment in his canonical work. There is no paradigm shift, no revolution in thought, only his lingering feeling of nostalgia for paradise lost and token suggestions to slightly modify our own behavior.

The Sacred Balance of the earth will not be achieved with individual's considering public transport options, participating in meatless Mondays, and finding the spiritual balance of our distant ancestors. Someone will need to find out how to stop humankind's quest for endless growth that is coupled with finite resources and space; revolutionize transport needs, and create an economic revolution that manages to provides for our needs and wants without destroying everything in our path.

No such solutions exist in this book, nor are any real ideas explored. Instead we have wonderful, simplified science explaining how our natural world works. Here Suzuki excels in reminding us the miracle of life, the subtleties of digestion, rainfall patterns, etc. Beyond that we only have a meandering collection of spiritual thoughts, an incredible reliance on Edward O. Wilson quotes, and the recycled suggestions that recycling your aluminum cans is going to save the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sacred Balance.

10/02/2011 page 30