Tom's Reviews > God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

M_50x66
Jul 02, 07

Recommended for: Atheists who have never read any atheist literature and want to feel good about themselves
Read in August, 2007

I've never read anything by Christopher Hitchens, so I have nothing to add to others' ranting or raving about the author's other works. I have, however, read Sam Harris's book The End of Faith, and I liked that, so I picked this one up after the NYT gave it a good review.

What's good: It isn't as angry as Harris's book. Most of the arguments are well-reasoned, though there are a few cheap shots. It's very funny in places. For someone who has never read any "atheist" literature, it would be a good survey of the various arguments against theism and religion in general.

What's bad: I just got tired of it. Maybe it was too... for lack of a better word... preachy. After a hundred pages or so, I said, "Forget it, there are other books to read that might teach me something more interesting than a hundred new ways to dislike religion."

So I didn't finish it, and instead went on to start Douglas Hofstadter's new book I Am A Strange Loop, which is heaps of fun so far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God is Not Great.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean I haven't even read it, but I bet I know how I'll like it. I give it a three point four seven - hopefully slightly below the current avg - because I fear it will get lost in it's own words at times and not convincingly support the ideas presented throughout the vitriolic work.

message 2: by Skyler (new)

Skyler I will pray for you.