R. Scott's Reviews > The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate

The Invisible Chains - Part 1 by Andrew Ashling

Oct 02, 2011

bookshelves: glbt, sci-fi-fantasy, yaoi
Read from October 03 to 17, 2011

This is the first book by Mr. Andrew Ashling that I have read. Several other friends / people I follow either were reading or had read one of his newer books "A Dish Served Cold" and gave it great reviews. Because I didn't dare read it first (it has some scary plot lines, to me anyway!) I decided to start with a genre I'm more familiar with, the science fiction / fantasy category. I now know this is more of a post apocalyptic novel, but for me this category still fits.

I am very happy I started here because I really loved Mr. Ashling's story. There are several interesting threads running through this first book in the Bonds of Hate series. The first one, and the one the reader gets the least number of clues about , is that of the story teller himself. Who is he, who is the man who is his audience, and what the heck is up with that stool! Many of the scenes between the two young prince / half brothers make me feel sad and lonely for them and make me angry at their despicable treatment of each other. They seem to be, in essence, two broken children unable to climb out of their predicament.

There are also at least four other significant story threads that wrap around themselves throughout the book adding complexity, character development, and continuity. The writer handles scenes of hilarity, camp, and human suffering with equal aplomb and in the end, I am left with excitement for the remaining books in this series and a new found appreciation and warmth for Mr. Ashling's writing.

Thank you, Andrew Ashling, for writing one of my new favorites!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Chains - Part 1.

Quotes R. Scott Liked

Andrew Ashling
“Deal with all this, live with myself, you mean? I honestly don't know. I stand often enough at the abyss of my soul, asking that same question, looking down into the dark crevices where the black monsters dwell on the bottom. They gaze up at me, and I look them in the eyes. “This also you are,” they say, and I almost fall into the void.”
“And then?”
Anaxantis shrugged.
“And then? I turn around and go do what needs to be done. What else is there?”
Andrew Ashling, The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate

Andrew Ashling
“Just don’t stare at my ass, Landemere,” he added.

“I wasn’t staring at your ass,” Arranulf, who had been staring at his ass, said.”
Andrew Ashling, The Invisible Chains - Part 1: Bonds of Hate

Samy Rose I'm impressed with the clarity and insightfulness of your review. I have enjoyed Andrew Ashling's books, and while I have not thought of them as post apocalyptic novels, I suppose I could see them that way. Certainly, I see the threads you mention as you define them. I saw them slightly differently and your review only helps me appreciate the books more.

R. Scott Thank you Sammy! I appreciate your feedback and am glad to hear we have these books and great author in common :)