Aly (Fantasy4eva)'s Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

It has been a long day. I have spent the majority of it devouring the hell out of this book. I'm tired but every moment was worth it.

I'm not big on fantasy so I was quite anxious about reading this. Clearly, I had no need to be afraid. Although I was a little confused at first and had to focus to keep track of all the names, it didn't take long to soak it in. What gives away the beauty that is FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK is how although the book is around 600 pages, there is not a dull moment throughout. That's pretty freaking awesome and promising in itself if you ask me.

My only nit-pick is that there were characters which I wished I knew a little more. Lucien being one of them. In this case I can only hope that they will be explored more in the sequel. Oh and I would have liked someone to swoon over - oh you know - just a little xD

During the five days of the unspeakable - the Queen, King and their children are murdered. Meanwhile their kingdom is taken over by an imposter. Those who rebel are taken prisoner and killed, the children made examples of and the women raped. As you read along you will realise the horrors these people faced and it is absolutely heart-breaking. One of the many survivors is a boy called Finnikin. But it's not until the day novice - Evanjalin enters his life that his life takes a different route. She promises that his once best friend - the prince of the place he once called home is alive, and so there is no shred of doubt but to set on a journey to move forward, find his people and fight for freedom to finally return home. But have no doubt that it will be no easy journey - if not close to impossible and with much bloodshed.

I like that things aren't sugar - coated when it comes to the men and women of this novel. The men give into lust, they fight, kill, and at times are the most loyal of men I have ever comes across, whilst the women will do anything to protect their own. Proud, loyal and fierce women who love, hate and crave. It was refreshing to see all these traits shown - despite even if they lead to a disturbing truth.

I wasn't swooning over our Finnikin and I'm not sure if many will. I don't exactly know why - maybe it's because he comes from a different time, or the fact that he is so different from us in other ways, or maybe it's the fact that you acknowledge his pure dedication and love for another, or perhaps he ins't supposed to make you swoon - maybe he is just Finnikin. Finnikin is a stubborn boy, and yes pretty arrogant. He can be tough to like at first, but as he gets to know Evanjalin - his fierce will to protect her and his people shows a young man who is perhaps braver and more worthy than he realises. Evanjalin on the other hand may know more than she let's on, but her heart is in the right place - it is important to remember that. She is incredibly brave and has more than just the one talent. She's not someone that you should underestimate. People may feel that she's too stubborn and arrogant, but I think the world she lives in requires for her to hold on to any cards she may have on her side and take full advantage of them since they might just end up saving her life, so no, I don't hold anything against the girl. She's damn brave and loyal and that matters the most. Then we have Froi. When I found out who he was I was a little horrified. I mean, I didn't like him at all. Sure he must have been through hell to get to the point where he is now, but with no hint of his past - it grew hard to sympathise him when he acted so horribly. But I saw something in him towards the last few chapters, so knowing that he is the protagonist in the sequel gives me hope.

There are so many characters that I grew to love and those that I became fond of - mainly the guards, a certain father and his lover - who faced unimaginable things that make me shudder at the mere thought of them, but mate, she survived, but those horrors seems to be etched deep into her face and ring through her voice, but to name names would make this review longer than it already is. I felt for them, laughed, but mostly smiled - unable to hide my amusement from my parents wondering eyes, but it was how much I fell in love with this book that really struck me. The advantage of not having certain expectations is that when they are exceeded - you have the privilege of being truly blown away.

I am completely enchanted and charmed by this book and it's characters. It fills me with warmth - that all too familiar feeling when I first read JELLICOE ROAD, and throughout the book I could only think of what a gem of an author Melina Marchetta is. Her world building, the romance and my gosh the characters are on another level. I truly believe that.

Oh man, you don't even want to know how many quotes I bookmarked, I actually lost count which in my case is pretty much unheard of.

Another beautiful addition to Marchetta' work. Do not miss out <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes Aly (Fantasy4eva) Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”

Melina Marchetta
“Sir Topher finally looked up. “Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
"Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing.”
tags: hope

Melina Marchetta
“Balthazar pledged to die defending his royal house of Lumuatere. Finnikin swore to be their protector and guide for as long as he lived. Lucian vowed he would be the light whom they traveled toward in times of need.”

Melina Marchetta
“When one is silent, those around speak even more.”

Melina Marchetta
“The gods do make playthings of us ... but it is we mortals who provide them with the tools.”

Melina Marchetta
“Everything is evil that humans can't control or conquer”

Melina Marchetta
“Because without our language, we have lost ourselves. Who are we without our words?”

10/02/2011 page 73
18.0% "So glad that I'm finally reading this! Not in love with it just yet, but there is still a long way to go. This part - Seeing us safe, she breathed a sigh of relief and then looked at Trevanion and said, 'Was that functional enough for you, Captain?' Then she slapped his face, because his hand was on her thigh, and promptly fainted." made me LOL xD"