Candace's Reviews > Dead Mann Walking

Dead Mann Walking by Stefan Petrucha

Oct 26, 11

Read from October 02 to 04, 2011

This review was first posted on my blog at
This book was a total surprise for me. I was a bit hesitant to pick it up but I figured I'd at least give it a try. I'm not a big zombie fan, some zombie books are okay and I've read a few that I ended up loving, but I'm still a bit wary of them. Luckily I'm open minded enough to at least try things because I would have missed out on a great story if I hadn't bothered! I ended up liking this one a lot!

This book doesn't have the typical zombies. No, they are people who were brought back by the government, usually because they were wrongly convicted and executed. Some were brought back by family members as well. And these zombies aren't really the typical zombies. They are at all different functioning levels. Some are able to hold jobs, others just barely hang on to a shred of sanity and others are completely feral and are more of the 'typical' zombies. They are usually 'put down' immediately though and aren't allowed to roam freely.

Now Hessius Mann is higher functioning zombie who use to be a cop. Now he works as a private investigator. Unfortunately remembering things is difficult and he has a nice liveblood (living human) assistant who is able to help with pretty much all his needs as well as kind of taking care of him when he needs it. She patches him up when he's injured, she helps him remember things (though his recording device does most of that) and she helps him stay sane. Because it's easy to lose it when you're a zombie and then you go feral and well, then you're killed for good.
I really liked Hessius and felt like he was portrayed realistically (you know, considering he's a freaking zombie!) due to his condition. He has a good heart and he works hard to be a good person, er, zombie. He also says some funny things and is incredibly brave.

While the story has one main plot arc, which was absolutely fantastic, it has mini arcs within it which kept me on my toes as there was constant action. There wasn't really any downtime! It was just one thing after another and it made the book a fast read.

There was lots of creepy and plenty of UGH moments. As a matter of fact, I advise you to not read while eating, or directly before bed. But either I'm not as creeped out in my old age or I'm just getting use to things because I was okay with it all. I mean, it was definitely more then I would think I would like, but the story overall was just so great I kind of had to take the creepiness and ugh along with it. And it all worked great.

I definitely recommend this to adults who enjoy zombies, urban fantasy, horror and mysteries. This is definitely one that would fit the 'guy book' category as there's no romance and lots of action and gross stuff.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Mann Walking.

10/03/2011 page 170
48.0% "I'm liking this bk a lot!"