Vanessa's Reviews > Triangles

2054747
Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, poetry
Read from July 13 to 15, 2012

This is my first time reading a book by Ellen Hopkins. I've always heard amazing things about her work, and I can clearly see why she has so many fans. I love Ellen's writing style and amazing characterization. While I was reading the book, I found myself enraptured in the convoluted stories of Holly, Andrea, and Marissa. I love the switch of first person point of view between the three main characters, followed by a poem that signaled the end of their narratives.

In the beginning, I really didn't like some of the characters, such as Holly. Now I see that she has a lot of personal demons that influenced her decisions. What she did was wrong, but at the same time we are all human and make mistakes. The problem is the aftermath. Holly is a perfect example of when we let our fantasies take control of our lives. Is it really worth it in the end?

What I really like about this novel is that it shows how life is not black and white. It is always much more complex than that. I find this to be true in Marissa's case. It's horrible what happens to her in regard to her relationship, but she doesn't take the popular route. There is no right or wrong decision because everyone is different in regard to forgiveness. I think that's the biggest message about this novel. It's so easy to preach about what is right and wrong, but in real life, it is much more complicated than that.

Another thing I admire about this novel is the way it outlines friendship, especially the friendships between females and how powerful they can be. I feel like society is always portraying female friendships as shallow and driven by jealousy. While jealousy may occur sometimes, it doesn't mean that it's the end of the friendship. I like how Ellen challenges the definition of friendship, especially with Andrea and Holly.

All of the characters in this novel are very realistic; they all have their achievements and failures. They have positive traits and negative ones, just like everyone else. Personally, the biggest problem many of these characters have is lack of communication. Perhaps Ellen is trying to show how problems arise when issues are not discussed. They become a bigger problem and in the end hurt others, too.

I highly recommend this novel to both fiction and poetry lovers alike. There are some intense graphic scenes here, so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it to younger readers. However, everyone's maturity level is different so it depends on the reader. I know that Ellen Hopkins is considered a young adult author but this novel is definitely meant for an older audience.

Five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triangles.

07/14/2012 page 426