Caitlin Price's Reviews > How the Grinch Stole Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss

Oct 02, 11

Read in October, 2011

How the Grinch Stole Christmas is about a creature named the Grinch. He lives in a cave on a moutain (MT. Crumpit) with his dog, Max. Mt. Crumpit is located north of a little town called Whoville. The book begins with the Grinch standing outside of his cave looking down at Whoville. He expresses his hate of Christmas. He explains that he can't stand when the Whos (citizens of Whoville) make noise when they play wih their presents, feast on "roast beast", and most of all, when they join hands and sing around the big Christmas tree in the middle of Whoville. He comes up with an idea to stop Christmas. He decides to dress up as Santa Claus and puts an antler on Max, making him a reindeer. They wait till every Who is asleep. Then, the Grinch and Max go to Whoville and steal everything in the houses. Everything is gone! He loads everything onto the sleigh and drag it back up Mt. Crumpit. When the Whos wake up on Christmas morning, they gather around the big Christmas tree and start to sing even though there were no presents. This opens the Grinch's eyes, and his heart grows three sizes! He realized that Christmas isn't about presents, but sharing it with those you love. He returns all of the presents and he even feasts with them, including doing the honor of cutting the "roast beast".

I think that this book is appropriate for primary and intermediate children. Primary children may need their parents help or even want their parents to read this book to them. However, intermediate readers should be able to read this book on their own.

The artistic elements of this book are fairly simple. The pictures are not colored (black and white) and the lines are simple, yet detailed.

I highly enjoy this book. I love reading this book every year around Christmas time (and anytime). I would definitely recommend this book. I think that it is a great book for parents to read to their children every Christmas to teach and remind their children that Christmas is about giving instead of receiving.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lexie ilove this book its my second favorite book by dr. seuss my mom use to read them to me when i was a baby

message 1: by Valerie (new) - added it

Valerie I really want to read this book