Misti's Reviews > How Doctors Think

How Doctors Think by Jerome Groopman

Nov 29, 08

bookshelves: memoirs, science, non-fiction
Recommended for: patients, doctors, everyone in the modern world
Read in November, 2008

Groopman's book on metacritical thinking for doctors can teach us all a little bit more about how we interact with our doctors and where we can better our thinking processes. The case studies presented within this book are compellingly written as they appeared to the various physicians, with little details becoming more/less relevant and coming to the fore as they occured in the real case. Allowing his readers to develop ideas and thoughts on their own encourages readers to analyze their own thinking processes.

While I'm certainly not a doctor, I appreciated the hardships faced by doctors and patients as they struggled to face their fallibility and mortality. And it was intriguing to learn that so many doctors can view the same problem in so many different ways.

I would certainly recommend this book for anyone who has regular doctor visits due to any sort of medical issue. I think this book represents a great opportunity for patients to learn more about themselves, their condition, and the way their doctor cares for them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Doctors Think.