All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Blood Kin

Blood Kin by M.J. Scott

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

BLOOD KIN was one of those books that I really didn’t want to put down as it hit all of my buttons for an entertaining story. It had the intrigue and danger of a spy novel, intense action scenes, and a romance that evolved organically over the course of the story. One of the most exciting scenes for me was actually not very big on action as it took place in a opera hall where people went to watch and be watched. It felt intense and scary as every action was noticed and being analyzed. The wrong actions could spell failure in Holly and Guy DuCaine’s mission. This scene expertly shows how Holly’s spy world has just as much danger and nuance as Guy violent Templar knight world.

One of the many highlights in BLOOD KIN was the relationship between Holly and Guy DuCaine. Not only did they have smoking physical chemistry but also wonderfully witty banter with each other. In a lot of ways, Guy DuCaine was like the classic knights in literature who are extremely loyal, honorable, and valiantly saving the damsel in distress. Pairing him with Holly, a highly crafty and intelligent spy who is herself very brave and equally dedicated to protecting those she loves made for an unpredictable but exciting romance, especially considering that they were on seemingly opposite sides of the law.

Whether this is your first visit to Half-Light City or you’re already a fan, BLOOD KIN expertly weaves the events from SHADOW KIN throughout this sequel in a way that entices new readers without boring old ones. I am really looking forward continuing this enthralling ride in IRON KIN, the next book in the Half-Light City series which will be released in 2013.

Sexual Content: Two moderately graphic sex scenes

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Kin.