Diane's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Mar 14, 12

Read from March 10 to 13, 2012

What an enchanting story! I don't think I could come up with enough adjectives to describe what a joy it was to read this novel. It's by far the most creative story I've read in a while and it kept me both intrigued and entertained all through out. The most incredible aspect of this novel is how descriptive it was. I felt like I was in this glorious world of the night circus. I could almost picture myself there watching the performances, smelling the caramel apples, and feeling the awe of the spectators.
This story follows two opponents destined to compete with each other in the midst of a bewitching circus. It's a mystery as to what the game includes and what the rules are. Two young people are chosen, a boy and a girl, who are trained from the very start to battle each other to the finish. They aren't aware of each other for many years and further complicating the situation is the igniting passion that stirs between them upon their first meeting. Among the main characters are a slew of fascinating players in the circus who each play a pivotal role in this challenge. My words cannot do justice of how brilliant the story is constructed and played out. It is not perfect however. I do have a few complaints concerning the timeline jumping quite frequently causing the flow to disrupt. Still it's a minor grievance in the grand scheme. I felt like I was taken on a delightfully charming ride and I didn't want it to end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

Quotes Diane Liked

Erin Morgenstern
“The finest of pleasures are always the unexpected ones.”
Erin Morgenstern, The Night Circus

03/11/2012 page 191
03/12/2012 page 250
65.0% "I am LOVING this book!"

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kathryn I have been DYING to read this!! I have heard so many great things about it! :)

Diane Me too! Most of my friends have raved about it so I am super excited to be starting it.

Elle *love*

Paiman 5 STARS!! Wow. Now I'm really looking forward to reading this.

Diane I was struggling between 4 and 5 stars all morning in my head. If possible I would have given it 4.5 actually. However, since I enjoyed it so much and couldn't wait to pick it up at the end of the day I figured I'd round it out to 5 :)
I think it would make for a fabulous film!

Kathryn Now I REALLY can't wait to read this! :)

Elle Di, it is being made into a film. I think Summit bought the rights. Hmmmmmmm.....

Diane Of course it's Summit. Hmmmm indeed. I have no idea who could play the parts, but I am curious!

Keryn Rhule I would have given it 4.5 stars but seeing there is no half stars I have given the book 5. I agree The Night Circus is the most beautifully written book the descriptions are glorious. I am wondering who could play these parts has to be very special people.

Diane I'm glad you liked it, Keryn! I have no idea who would play the parts in the movie, but I'm curious to find out!