Sophia's Reviews > The Bad Place

The Bad Place by Dean Koontz

Apr 15, 12

Read from October 09 to 16, 2011

The Bad Place certainly can't be accused of having a slow start. It jumps straight in with the action, as we are introduced to a man who wakes up in an alleyway, knowing nothing but his name, Frank Pollard, and the fact that he is being pursued by someone or something utterly terrifying and incredibly powerful. Meanwhile, Bobby and Julie Dakota, a husband and wife team of detectives, are being shot at by criminals. The action switches quickly between the two scenes and it makes for a truly exciting start to a novel that has all sorts of thrills and spills in store.

Once the reader is hooked, and these initial scenes are resolved, the book settles down and we start to get to know our protagonists. Julie and Bobby are great characters, a couple that spark off each other, enjoy a witty banter that helps to lift the novel in places, and are still deeply in love after seven years of marriage. We are also introduced to Julie's brother, Thomas, who has Down's syndrome and is living in an institution nearby. Thomas knows that something bad is coming to get his sister and struggles to try to find a way to warn her and Bobby.

When Frank employs the Dakotas to find out who he is and who or what is pursuing him, Bobby and Julie unwittingly invite a monster into their lives. The story that unfolds is quite a lot stranger than many of Koontz's other novels, and has elements of science fiction, horror and adrenaline-pumping thriller. The character of Candy (I'll let you find out for youselves who he is) reminded me quite a lot of Bruno from Koontz's novel, Watchers, and there are recurring themes in many of Koontz's books which show up here too. Anyone who reads his novels will know how much he loves dogs, but in The Bad Place you'll see he's not too fond of cats!

This book had some seriously weird stuff going on, but it delivered in all the ways you want a Koontz book to deliver. Excitement, shocks, sympathetic characters to root for, a villain who keeps on coming - this is classic Koontz. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Place.