Tara Hall's Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Oct 07, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed, recommended-for-teens
Recommended for: teens, boys, middle grade,
Read from October 03 to 06, 2011 , read count: 1

I adored this book. It wasn't in any way what I thought it would be, but I loved it for what it actually is. The most important thing to realize before reading this book is that it really shouldn't have been a young adult book, it should have been middle grade.

The characters are fascinating. While the setup of children with supernatural powers is not all that original, the overall world Riggs has built is one-of-a-kind. The "mystery" of the house is explained early on, but the real mystery is about Jacob himself. The photos add so much to the story, as well, seamlessly integrated into the tale to bring the characters to life.

(view spoiler)

I recommend this book to just about everyone. But just know going in that it's not as creepy as it appears to be on the cover. Certainly there is some abnormal imagery and some creepy bad guys, but it's relatively benign. It would be perfectly appropriate for kids 10 and up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

Quotes Tara Liked

Ransom Riggs
“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”
Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children