Hannah (In The Best Worlds)'s Reviews > The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen

Sep 23, 13

Read on October 02, 2011

I went pretty back and forth on whether I really liked this book or not. It had some really great things, but it also had some holes and some places where it didn't feel original. The world that Faegen created is really great. I loved Jax and his brothers, I felt like they were a really great part of the book. They all seemed honestly tortured and like they were trying really hard to be good. Their goal is to make it to heaven and they really have to work for it, and the awesome thing is that they do work really hard to try to get there.
And then Sasha comes along and she's something like a free ticket to heaven. She's actually where I have trouble liking this book. It's either the character herself, or her treatment that really makes me uncomfortable. She acts, and is treated, like a Victorian woman. Being with her is kind of like a business deal (even if there's love involved), she doesn't ever get too upset, she attempts to reign in her feelings, and being with Jax would mean she would be "marked" by him and doomed to live forever on his family's mountain. She's so controlled and submissive and that bothers me a little bit.
However, I do have to say that overall, I enjoyed this book. It might have some flaws, but really it made for a really great afternoon of reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mephisto Covenant.