Rhiannon Ryder's Reviews > Drummer Girl

Drummer Girl by Karen Bass

Oct 02, 11

Last summer I had the pleasure of reading Karen's book Summer of Fire, which I loved, so I was overjoyed when her latest book popped through the mail slot a week or so ago from the ever charming folk of Coteau Books (have I ever mentioned how they're from my home province of Saskatchewan?).

Sid lives life to the beat of her own drum, quite literally as she's a great drummer, until faced with the choice of being a drummer in the band she's always wanted to be a part in or be her own, very unique, person. As the chance to join the band is only a small makeover away she decides to go for it. But the sexual politics that come with being a sudden convert to the girly girl look turn out to be more than Sid has bargained for. Between her best friend loathing the new her, the awesome new boy she's met and the suddenly cut throat competition to be the newest drummer for the band, Sid has gotten way more than she bargained for.

Like with Summer of Fire I love that Karen broaches a multitude of difficult subjects with her YA fiction. Sid has to deal with sexual politics from being presumed gay to over the top sexual harassment when she tries to prove she's not. Although the gay issue is only lightly touched upon I'm glad to see someone write an enjoyable story that talks a little more in depth about harassment and assault and what qualifies. There are more than enough YA books floating around out there with some seriously slipping morals as far as personal privacy is concerned (I can read you mind, I can sneak into your house and watch you, I can seep into your soul and experience you- all of which are done in fits of "love"-i.e.- desire, without consent). It's more than time someone sits down some YA readers and explains to them that your body is your temple, and completely under your jurisdiction, no matter how romantic it seems when a characters is violated in some paranormal romance.

Despite some of the deeper issues broached, Drummer Girl is an engrossing and enjoyable story. The ugly duckling turn around will appeal to any teen who's struggled to be more average in the high school world where being unique or unusual are particularly hard crosses to bear. I look back sometimes and wonder how it was I so unflinchingly threw myself under the unique buss and survived. I suppose I spent so much of High School trying not to be like everyone else that somehow I missed how it made me the odd one out. Presumably you need a certain level obliviousness to survive it, which Bass definitely gives Sid in droves, and I love watching the struggle for Sid to find an equilibrium for herself.

But Bass's full cast of characters is terrific, not just Sid, I especially love Brad the goofy love interest. I would happily read more about them all and would love to see more of what happens to each of them.

Do a young Twilight fan in your book circle a service and add Drummer Girl to their TBR pile. And make sure to grab yourself a copy while you're at it.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drummer Girl.