Maja's Reviews > Night Watch

Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

Oct 02, 2011

Read in October, 2011

True fact - it is very hard for me to review anything written by Pratchett without sounding like a ten year old on a sugar rush (and it's going to show in the next few lines), so I am just going to control myself and say that I am extremely blown away by everything I have read so far by this amazing man.
Night Watch has everything one can expect from a Discworld novel - Pratchett's witty comments and intelligent humor are what immerse one into an "discworldy" hard-to-describe feeling (known to every avid Pratchett reader), drag one away from home and throw one into the streets of Ankh-Morpork. However, this novel somehow offers more. Vimes' experiences in old Ankh-Morpork are pretty solemn and melancholy, and deal with more grown-up kind of emotions that other Discworld novels. In other words, besides being merely witty, this novel is serious business. It's about memories, a revolution, a birth of a child and the deaths of friends. I could make all kinds of philosophical comparisons between the plot-line of this novel and the circle of life or the moral duties of a man, but it would simply be unnecessary because no matter what I write, it's not enough to describe the feeling this awesome book offers.
All in all, as expected, another amazing read by Pratchett.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Watch.