Isamlq's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Oct 03, 11

Read from October 02 to 03, 2011

2.5/5

I knew precisely what was going to happen next. How’s that? Well, a good deal of it was Vampire Academy (books 1- 6) 2.O. Also, given everything being told and said, well, it was pretty obvious where things were going to go.

Yet, it wasn’t all bad. But unoriginal? Not completely because the last half went and made Half Blood going in a different direction that I could not get enough of. And it’s this last bit that had me rethinking my initial assessment of Half Blood as a VA rip off. And do you know what? I liked it; specifically, the last half. Perhaps comparing it to VA isn’t a bad thing: what’s not to like when there’s a kick ass girl with a tendency to say snarky things and act tough. And what’s not to like when there’s a Dimka type character present? But I am getting ahead of myself.

Like I said, the first half read like VA. And as a big VA fan, anything that touches on what I liked in that one is a win (for me). She’s Rose… only she’s less selfish. She’s just like Rose because she’s tough and snarky except she’s funnier and with the same tendency to act before thinking things through. And there’s the same too close a relationship where there should be none, just like the one between Rose and Dimka. (All that was missing was an Adrian.)

Even their world was a familiar one with pure blood wielding control over elements and half bloods acting as sentinels, guards or slaves. Or a world where those same people could be turned into something else.

But all that’s fine, because of Seth! He isn’t a good kind of guy. In fact, he seemed rather impressed with himself (OK, I’ll say it: he was full of it.) Yet, he seems to be the only one sticking out as different. Without him in the picture, without the complication that he represented, I very well would have written HALF BLOOD off as an OK read with nothing new to offer. But with him around, I caught a glimpse of what Alex could be. Not just a pseudo-Rose in light of what Aiden was to her, but something more.

The first half is nothing new. Thankfully, the second half was much better. I wonder what’s in store for her. And I know there’s more to Seth than what was presented here. If there’s any reason for me to read on… Seth is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Stacia (the 2010 club) Okay, but now I have to laugh because it's like VA, but there's a character named Seth? Someone must be a Mead fan.

Isamlq Stacia (point and laugh) wrote: "Okay, but now I have to laugh because it's like VA, but there's a character named Seth? Someone must be a Mead fan."

i was thinking that she must be a Mead fan... there were too many similarities. Oh, I might read: Daimon (Covenant, #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (I rarely read novellas)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I noticed the 2.5 though. Would you still say it's worth the read?

Isamlq Stacia (point and laugh) wrote: "I noticed the 2.5 though. Would you still say it's worth the read?"

it's seth is worth the read...there could have been more of him in it though (i liked him that much.)

Ezmirelda I agree. Seth is worth the read. Hoping the next book will be different because I honestly really liked the protag. She reminds me so much of Rose and the protag from Hex Hall-some of my fav characters in YA.

Jayde "All that was missing was an Adrian."

Isamlq Jayde wrote: ""All that was missing was an Adrian."

I thought Deacon was an Adrian. Pure blood, drinks to forget, calls her "my favorite half blood" etc."

Yup, both were reckless and charming. BUT Deacon failed to get me feeling the same way Adrian did (I am a big fan of Adrian's)

Heather (hungrycookiemonster) I agree 100%. Did you notice Alex's mom's name is Rachelle. Tsk, tsk.

ardenFOXX Such fake-assness is all out in the world to shit on us -_-