Teresa's Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Jun 21, 12

bookshelves: all-my-love-for-one-book
Read from June 19 to 20, 2012

I both love and hate this book at the same time, regardless of my five star-rating...Oh, who am I kidding? I LOVE it!!! I mean, it IS a five star-rating. Anna and the French Kiss is a fabulous book about first love, second chances, taking risks, and listening to your heart. And I may not be a phsycic, but I predict hundreds and hundereds of girls in the future reading this, and I can absolutely see why. Anna and the French Kiss is something I would recommend for people coming of age, people who love chick lit and hot male leads, and especially the people that have given up on love because of a failed love history or something like that. God knows there are a hell of a lot of people like that in the world, so Anna and the French Kiss is amazing for these kinds of people. Anyway, here's my full review:

Reasons Why I Love This Book:

1. St. Clair. Do I even need to say anything else, or can everybody figure out why he's at the top of the list for themselves? :)

2. Anna. She is a charming, snarky, and strong female lead. I love her, because she is so different from all of these other protagonists. Unlike them, she has dept, compassion, a backbone, personality, and a great sense of humor. I love being inside her head and getting to read her thoughts that speak of her quiet determination and strong personality. Anna is one of my favorite protagonists of this year.

3. The romance. I love how it progresses at a genuine, strong pace. It isn't insta-love, and it most definetely doesn't progress slowly and agonizingly. Instead, the author progresses at a natural, believable speed, and during that time, the reader gets to understand the honest and real connection between St. Clair and Anna. My favorite moments in this book are the scenes where they are together, because for me, that is where the stage of their relationship really starts.

4. I love the secondary characters. They aren't cardboard or unrealistic. When I read of them, I can see the dept and personality and the sparks in their dialogue, expressions, and emotions. I really do like Josh, Rashmi, and Meredith. Meredith is probably my least favorite character (besides Amanda), but I still do like Meredith,up until the point where she got pissed when she saw St. Clair and Anna kissing. I mean, if she were in Anna's place, she would do the same, right? But, yeah, I still do like her, because of her forgiving nature and kindness towards Anna on the first day of school. And, also, I still cling to the hope that Rashmi and Josh end up together, becuase despite their major problems, I think they could make it as a couple. I mean, every couple is always going to have big issues, right? I may be the only one, but I still want them together.

5. The funny, heartwarming, and sweet quotes in the book that are worth liking on Goodreads. Here are some examples:

“Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?”

“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.”

“I wish friends held hands more often, like the children I see on the streets sometimes. I'm not sure why we have to grow up and get embarrassed about it.”

“Boys turns girls into such idiots.”

“I mean, really. Who sends their kid to boarding school? It's so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn't have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons.”

“Why is it that the right people never wind up together? Why are people so afraid to leave a relationship, even if they know it's a bad one?”

...and there a bunch of other kick-ass, hilarious, and cheesy but inspiring quotes in Anna and the French Kiss.

The One Reason Why I Don't Like This Book:

1. Well, it's a very stupid reason, but a reason nontheless. Well, reading Anna and the French Kiss is one of those awkward moments where I read a very cute romance chick lit, put down the book after reading its entirety, get pissed at my nonexistent love life, and realize the trash can officially goes out more than me. Or is it just me that thinks that after reading it??

Nevertheless, this is still an honest-to-Lord five-star read. Words fail to express my utter love for it. This is probably one of my favorite books of 2012. I really do hope more people read this soon, because this one goes to everyone that didn't read it yet: You're missing out on something really awesome!! :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Quotes Teresa Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?”

Stephanie Perkins
“The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Boys turns girls into such idiots.”

Stephanie Perkins
“French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Will you please tell me you love me? I’m dying here.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I'm saying I'm in love with you! I've been in love with you this whole bleeding year!”

Stephanie Perkins
“Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.”

Stephanie Perkins
“I wish for the thing that is best for me.”

Stephanie Perkins
“This is home. The two of us.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Anna, Anna," Josh interrupts. "If I had a euro for every stupid thing I've done, I could buy the Mona Lisa. You'll be fine.”

“Oof," he says.
"Hey, there's a bed there."
"Thanks for the warning."
"No problem.”

“Soap?"
"School of America in Paris" he explains. "SOAP".
Nice. My father sent me here to be cleansed.”

“I moan with pleasure.
"Did you just have a foodgasm?" he asks, wiping ricotta from his lips.
"Where have you been all my life?" I ask the beautiful panini.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

A Tasty Read Book Reviews I freakn LOVED this book!!

Teresa And I can see clearly why :)

Victoria Awesome review, Teresa!