Matt's Reviews > Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting

Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata

Oct 02, 2011

Read from October 02 to 04, 2011

Enlightening. I've lost 50 lbs twice... first time gained it all back and then some, second time I've gained about 25 back. I don't regret the weight loss experience, but I have been feeling awfully guilty since gaining back some of the second loss, especially since I had hoped it would eventually turn into a permanent loss of 100 or so pounds.

It was REALLY good to hear the honest experiences of people who have been through the same highs and lows as me. The elation of the first weeks' loss, the gnawing hunger, the inability to sleep without eating before bed, the joy when the sacrifice pays off, the tedium of the plateau, the decreasing utility of the meetings (rang very true for Weight Watchers)... yes, all this, I know very well.

Mainly, though, it's comforting to see a lot of scientific data to back up my experience, namely that when I lose weight I often find myself feeling STARVING. Some people are like this, some are not - and the studies show that it's genetic, and that each of us has a range of weight that our body will tolerate, and staying outside that range just isn't feasible. Diet and exercise can only do so much, and while they are useful, they can't make you thin for long.

This may seem a bit depressing to some, but to me it is freeing. I feel like I can be at peace with my weight, understanding that it is to a large extent outside my control. I think I would have already understood this if I'd paid more attention to my own experience, rather than listening to the you-must-be-thin drumbeat of 21st century western civilization.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rethinking Thin.