Lauren Gullion's Reviews > Naïve. Super

Naïve. Super by Erlend Loe

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: annotated-bib
Read in October, 2011

I was drawn to this book but had a hard time tracking it down. I ended up ordering it from a bookseller in England and I'm so glad I did; it's the kind of book that made me so happy, in the "this is why I love fiction" kind of way. It's a short, quick read but one that I'm pretty sure I'd like to read again. The character is struggling with what the meaning of all this is - "this" being life. And there's something so soothing and also sweet about his ruminations. Perhaps it's because I can relate. Perhaps also it's just so darn honest. It's not trying to be overly clever yet each digression circles back to the 25-year-old narrator's questioning of life's meaning in a way that's indeed smart and worthwhile. It weighs out some serious questions all the while eliciting a giggle or two along the way. So, yes, this is definitely a read worth tracking down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naïve. Super.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan I wish I'd known you were looking for this, I special-ordered it about this time last year and it's been sitting on my bookshelf ever since.

Something about it didn't quite gel with me on first read, but I'll probably reread it eventually. If nothing else, it's an outstanding title.

Lauren Gullion Yeah, we should really coordinate better on our reading/book-buying.
And I'd say, yes, give this book another try, preferably on a day when you're questioning the meaning of life, though not necessarily holding out hope for any answers.