Cheryl's Reviews > Smut

Smut by Alan Bennett

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: humour, fiction, 2011-top-ten, british, literary, literature
Read on October 02, 2011

Funny book. It is two short stories, both about middle aged women in circumstances or situations that, in former times may have been regarded primly as smutty, something which this book is not. It is witty and clever, light hearted, and gently pokes fun at society's preoccupations with "how things look".

[from 'The Shielding of Mrs Forbes'] “In the years since he was born her sights had risen and Graham was not nearly the classy name she’d once thought. She wished now that she could get rid of it as she had got rid of the dark oak dining suite that belonged to the same period. But though car-boot sales exist to dispose of discarded aspirations there are no stalls dealing in our most unwanted commodities like names, relatives or one’s own appearance in the glass.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Smut.

10/02/2011 page 115

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Petra X I love Alan Bennett. I'm not sure which of the two stories I loved best. I thought The Greening of Mrs. Donaldson was magic, real smut and loved The Shielding of Mrs. Forbes. Bennett really doesn't see women like any other male authors I've ever read.

Petra X I think my favourite Bennett is An Uncommon Reader, but that might change if I think about it!

Cheryl Petra X wrote: "I think my favourite Bennett is An Uncommon Reader, but that might change if I think about it!"
I loved The Uncommon Reader too, and also Untold Stories too -- that was wonderful.

Petra X I have the History Boys but couldn't get into it.

Cheryl Petra X wrote: "I have the History Boys but couldn't get into it."
I read History Boys last summer and liked it, but probably because I had read Untold Stories only several months before that, and it had been frequently referenced. I would like to see the movie sometime.

message 6: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala The Histpry Boys is best appreciated as a performance, I think. The movie was excellent and I rarely think that about books turned into movies.