jo mo's Reviews > If I Tell

If I Tell by Janet Gurtler

Oct 08, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: egalley, young-adult, arc, non-caucasian-character, reviews
Read from October 02 to 03, 2011

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or
ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

[ dict ]

A half white, half black teen finds herself in a conflicted situation when she sees her pregnant mom's boyfriend hooking up with another woman. Responsibility falls into her hands. Keep the lie or face the facts and confront the truth? As Jaz decides to keep this dirty little secret, her relationship with those around her gets more and more strained.

IF I TELL addresses racism, mobbing, teen pregnancy, single-parent upbringing, postnatal depression and breaking the unwritten rule.

This is a book for colored people. Or just people unjustly discriminated through no fault of their own. I'd even go so far, as to say that it's for all the people (/slash assholes) out there, who've ever said something nasty to someone with a skin color different to their own. Racist remarks are always hard to handle. Even if the racist in question isn't attacking you personally, it doesn't make it ok or less bad.

Discrimination. Racism. Stories like these can never get too old. That's the sad thing. They're timeless.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Tell.

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X My son, who is a green-eyed blond with white skin (and a black father) is amused by it. Depending on where he is, he is sometimes Black and sometimes White (but always himself). Race annoys me, green (and folding) is the only colour that matters.

message 2: by jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo Petra X wrote: "Race annoys me, green (and folding) is the only colour that matters."

I'm sorry, but what does that mean? Green and folding? I'm not familiar with this expression..

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam That's an Americanism for cash money.

message 4: by jo (new) - rated it 2 stars

jo mo Miriam wrote: "That's an Americanism for cash money."

*scratches head* who would have guessed?

message 5: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Our bills are slangily called "greenbacks" -- by old folks, anyway! I don't think I've ever heard it said by younger people.