Holly's Reviews > Shopgirl

Shopgirl by Steve Martin

May 22, 08

Read in May, 2008

Main theme I gathered from this book is that "pain changes our lives." or is what makes us grow.

When I first started this book, I was like "oh, brother." But I kept reading because a friend recommended it to me and I trust his opinion on things. I ended up really enjoying the read. And, although it was a bit racey and graphic, I found myself identifying with some of the characters thoughts and feelings.

Here is one of my favorite about how one person believes what they have said is understood one way while the other understands it in a completely different way:

“I am traveling too much right now,” he says. In this sentence, he serves notice that he would like to come into town, sleep with her, and leave. Mirabelle believes that he is expressing frustration at having to leave town and that he is trying to cut down on traveling. … So now they have had the Conversation. What neither of them understands is that these conversations are meaningless. They are meaningless to the sayer and they meaningless to the hearer. The sayer believes they are heard and the hearer believes that they are never said." (p64-65)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shopgirl.