Justina's Reviews > Fly Away Home

Fly Away Home by Jennifer Weiner

F_50x66
Oct 02, 11

Read in September, 2011

Well, my grandmother sent me this book for beach reading. While it was a lot better than most "beach reads"/chick lit, which I detest, it still just wasn't that great.

The book follows the story of three women. The mother, whose husband is a politician, finds out that he husband had an affair. The eldest daughter, Diana, is having an affair and is repulsed by her husband. And the youngest, Lizzy, has just gotten out of rehab.

The mother is the most likable character by far. She goes through a lot of change throughout the course of the book, though it does all seem rather ABRUPT, to be honest. Also she has a weird obsession with cooking/food, which reminded me of the other book by Weiner that I've read, Good In Bed. That book also had an inexplicable focus on food. SO after describing them eating roast duck and baked goods and creamy sauces, the author throws in a "....but no one gained any weight because they walked around on the beach a lot..." ummmmm okay. whatever you say.

Diana was not a likable character to me. She seemed immature and cold, and never really seems to transform.

Lizzy had the potential to be very likable. Her story is interesting- the recovering addict daughter of two affluent parents- and her character seems the most honest and pure. But. Then she starts dating this guy and she withholds some information with him that it just seems POINTLESS to hide, and in fact, WRONG to hide. I just got mad at her for being so self-centered.

That was basically the problem with this book. Most of the characters were TOO self-centered, while the mother, as you'll see in the end, isn't self-centered enough. I wouldn't really recommend this book unless you really desire some light reading about women/family.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fly Away Home.