Moose's Reviews > You Shall Never Know Security

Oct 02, 2011

Recommended to Moose by: Goodreads Giveaways
Recommended for: Horror Readers
Read from November 23 to December 16, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Horror doesn't always deal with brain sucking zombies or crazed serial killers. As scary as those concepts are, they barely scratch the surface of where the real horror lies. What's so wonderful about Hamantaschen's anthology is that the real horror of his stories deal with what lies underneath, nestled within a person's personality and actions. He mixes surreal and disturbing sci-fi images and plot lines that unearth the mediocrities and vices that lie within.

A big theme that I picked up throughout all the stories was this idea of what is genuine. The characters were all faced with a problem that requires them to figure out and separate between their own true feelings on the matter and the more passive, societal norm of acting and feeling.

Hamantaschen's writing is a shade too rough to be considered elegant, but this works very well for the genre of his horror stories. His vocabulary is rich and I would recommend using a dictionary while reading. I quite enjoyed his writing style and use of description. It reminded me of a Dali painting: intellectually stimulating and eerily lovely despite the horrificness of some of the scenes.

I would suggest this book to readers who don't mind a higher caliber vocabulary along with horror that's more subtle then just a gruesome death.

I am very happy that I got the chance to read these stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Shall Never Know Security.

12/15/2011 page 135